ATTENTION: I am now writing over here at wordpress! Please come join me! There is tons of new content I would love for you to read and comment on!

Friday, September 12, 2008

It's Patriot Day...

...which really means it's the day that radically changed our country seven years ago. And thousands of innocent Americans who, as normal working people that day, had nothing to do with the government or world politics or anything religious lost their lives. We all remember where we were when we heard the news and we all remember how scary and chaotic things were those first few days. Now I don't know why they call it Patriot Day, but to me it reflects how unified we became because of 9/11. And it had nothing to do with our political parties or our thoughts on gay marriage or the economy. For a few months everybody let go of the animosity and just helped each other sort through the tragedy. If you are too young to really remember how things were, I'm sorry.... it was really beautiful. "Patriotism" didn't mean agreeing with the president as it seems to mean today. It meant loving your country and its people and being supportive of your fellow citizens who had been directly affected by the attacks. I wish we could go back to that simpler time. I wish we could remember how to see past party lines and opinions on policy. It's so cliche I know, but I really wish we could remember how to love each other even if we disagree.

Today is a very painful day for a lot of families who lost their loved ones on September 11, 2001. I pray that God brings them peace and comfort today and every day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Share your thoughts/questions/contributions because I'd love to hear!