ATTENTION: I am now writing over here at wordpress! Please come join me! There is tons of new content I would love for you to read and comment on!

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy Fourth

I think that the Fourth of July may be my favorite holiday because it is almost purely just a celebration. Christmas is wonderful, but if you just celebrate and forget about Jesus, you're not doing it right. Thanksgiving is probably my next favorite, but if you only enjoy time with family and the big feast, you're missing the point... the fact that there is a point seperates it from Independence Day. On the 4th of July you aren't expected to remember anything. You don't have to check yourself during the festivities to be sure you're not taking advantage of something.

I love the 4th. All you have to know is that it's America's Birthday. By decorating everything in flag colors, setting off fire works, barbequing with your family and taking the day off work you're celebrating that. The very nature of the holiday is celebration and victory. No prayer vigils or moments of silence. No rushing your "thank you's" to God for every little thing you can think of to make Him happy. No church services that you're anxious to get out of... just a celebrating.
I love that you really can't do the 4th wrong. That's what I love about it. I love that if you went to your buddy's house and ate his BBQ you'd be having just as great a holiday as if you went to a formal dinner with red, white and blue decor. I love that everybody watches fireworks (almost everybody) or hears them... Like the whole country lighting candles on a collossal cake. Happy Birthday, America!





In any case, I spent this fourth working at the gym, running errands around town, and screaming in fear of sparklers. I can hear the fireworks... I just can't see them. And poor Sam is scared to death. But, like Gabe said, the 4th of August will be awesome! And right he is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Share your thoughts/questions/contributions because I'd love to hear!