ATTENTION: I am now writing over here at wordpress! Please come join me! There is tons of new content I would love for you to read and comment on!

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Why So Serious?

Okay, forgive the title. I... don't even remember what happens in The Dark Night {or Knight?}.


I do however wonder why the proverbial "we" still treat that hormonal dip after giving birth as a huge taboo. Women don't talk about it, but most of us experience at least mild depression. It happens. Let's be okay with that already!

I completely understand how scary it is to talk about your internal struggles. I used to be extremely private because I was ashamed of the thoughts I was capable of. And that was before I was a new mommy. I don't know if what I experienced was clinical PPD or not (in talking with others and just my own assessment, I have an opinion about it and it doesn't bother me at all to talk about it), but I know it was intense and I felt quite hopeless and, frankly, crazy. But keeping those things to ourselves hurt us even more and make it nearly impossible to heal. I think that's why the Bible says that we should confess our sin to each other (and I think the principal applies even if we aren't sinning). And also why we're warned that things that remain in the dark are dangerous. "But when anything is exposed by the light, it becomes visible, for anything that becomes visible is light. Therefore it says, 'Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.'" (Ephesians 5:8)


Anyway, it is scary. But it's not necessary to go through alone. I've found that women who have been through postpartum depression (and the "baby blues") are very compassionate and willing to talk when they find that another woman is struggling. So I guess this is a petition to all you strong mommas out there - those struggling now and those who have overcome - to share your stories! Sometimes we don't think we can ask for help or we're really good at hiding what's going on and we just need to hear from someone else that it will be okay. We don't have to pressure one another with our treatment methods; I think one of the most comforting truths is simply that you aren't alone. That in and of itself can offer some healing, don't you think? 


That down period - whether it's labeled or not - is serious. But it is not the end of the world (even though sometimes it can certainly feel that way). It has actual, chemical roots and for many of us it's just a part of the whole thing; another challenging aspect of becoming a mother. And one thing I have learned is so important is that we lean on those around us - especially those who have been where we are now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Share your thoughts/questions/contributions because I'd love to hear!